CMN E-mail | Canvas | MyEmpower | Sendio | Netstorage | Off-campus Intranet Access | JSTOR | ProQuest
College of Menominee Nation
Contact UsApplyMyEmpowerRequestion information
Admission and Aid

Financial Aid



FAQ - Applying for Aid


Who should apply for financial aid?
College of Menominee Nation encourages all students to apply for financial aid. If you do not apply, you will not know if you qualify.
Some funding agencies may not require that you qualify for Federal aid but be a requirement to submit your application for FAFSA.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?
No. You may apply for next year’s financial aid any time after October 1. To actually receive aid, you must be admitted and enrolled in a degree-seeking program.


How do I apply?
To apply for Federal and State financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. This form can be obtained at any high school or college. You can also complete it online at To ensure that CMN receives the results of your FAFSA ad processes your financial aid, you must enter CMN’s Federal School Code: 031251.


Enrolled tribal member students seeking Tribal Education Funding must submit an Indian Scholarship Application along with any other required paperwork to their Tribal Higher Education Office each year they seek aid. Please contact your Tribal Office for deadlines and regulations.


Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?
Yes. Financial aid is not automatically renewed or guaranteed from one year to the next. You must reapply for financial aid every year by completing the FAFSA or the Renewal FAFSA. A good way to remember to file for your FAFSA is during tax season.
Also, program funding is dependent upon annual appropriations. For Tribal Higher Education funds please refer to your tribe.


Who is eligible to receive financial aid?
To qualify for Federal or State aid programs, students must:

  • Be an eligible U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
  • Be a Wisconsin resident for state funds;
  • Have a valid Social Security Number;
  • Must have a high school diploma or a General Education Development certificate (GED) or a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED);
  • Be accepted, admitted, and be making satisfactory academic progress in an eligible degree program;
  • Demonstrate a financial need for programs as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
  • Be neither in default on a Title IV loan nor owe a repayment on a student grant;
  • Have registered for Selective Service, if required to do so;
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by CMN.

Students admitted as non-degree or special student admission status are not eligible for financial aid.


My parent(s)’ no longer claim me as a Federal tax exemption, and I work to support myself. Can I file my FAFSA as an independent student?
Federal statue defines the conditions for independent status. Self-sufficiency is not a criterion. Also parent(s)’ unwillingness to provide financial data or to pay for education expenses cannot be recognized as the basis for independence. Currently, an applicant is independent if the individual meets one or more of the following:

  • 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
  • Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or has been a member of the National Guard or Reserves called to active duty for purposes other than training, or was a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, or attended a U.S. military academy preparatory school. Must be released under a condition other than dishonorable.
  • Working on a master’s or doctorate program during the award year;
  • Married;
  • Ward/dependent of the court, or was a ward/dependent of the court until the age 18;
  • Has legal dependents other than a spouse;
  • A student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstance;
  • Legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state;
  • Determined to be homeless or an unaccompanied youth by your high school or homeless shelter.


There is a Dependency Appeal process. However, only appeals with well-documented parental estrangement are considered for approval. Being financially independent of your parents does not allow you to be independent for financial aid purposes. Contact the Financial Aid Office with question or further instructions.


I am going to get married prior to the fall semester. How do I answer the question that asks if I am married?
You cannot project your marital status. You must report marital status as of the date that the FAFSA is filed. If you file the FAFSA as single, then marry, you cannot update the FAFSA by changing the response to “married”. A number of factors must be considered when making the determination of whether to postpone filing until you married. For guidance, contact the Financial Aid Office.


If my parents are divorced, whose information do I need?
Report the information of the parent with whom you lived the most during the twelve months preceding the date you completed the FAFSA. It does not make a difference which parent claims you as a dependent for tax purposes. If you did not live with either parent or lived equally with each parent, the parental information must be provided for the parent from whom you received the most financial support during the preceding twelve months or the parent from whom you received the most support the last time support was given.


I lived with my mother and stepparent. My mother was not married to my stepparent last year. Am I still required to provide his tax information?
If on the date of filing the FAFSA your mother is remarried, you must provide the financial data of her spouse or you will not be considered for Federal student financial aid.


My parents separated last year. I live with my mother. My parents filed a joint tax return. Do I report bother their incomes or just my mother’s?
Report only your mother’s income and asset information because you lived with her the most during the past twelve months.


My parents have not filed their tax return. Can I still complete the FAFSA?
Although it is recommended that you complete the FAFSA with completed tax form information, to meet awarding deadlines you can estimate. Once the tax form is available, you must correct the FAFSA data that is in error. Note that financial aid packages based on estimated FAFSA data may not provide an accurate depiction of you overall eligibility for financial assistance.


What is an Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
The Department of Education calculates this number based on your FAFSA information you provided. The EFC is used to determine what you and your family can be expected to contribute to the cost of your college education. The EFC generally stays the same from school to school.


How is the EFC used?
The EFC value determines your eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant as well as eligibility for other need-based programs such as the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), SMART Grants, and other outside scholarships.


What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?
The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a report of the information you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You should review this information carefully for accuracy. If it is correct, do not send it back (if you received your SAR via postal mail) keep it for your records. If you find incorrect information or you originally used estimated information and need to report actual figures, make your changes on the mailed SAR or online with your PIN at It is important that you read the comments entered on your SAR by the U.S. Department of Education.


I received a Federal Pell Grant last year, but the Financial Aid Office did not award a Pell Grant this year. Why?
Unlike some sources of financial aid, Federal Pell Grants are not awarded by the Financial Aid Office. When you submitted your FAFSA application online, the confirmation page will state an estimated Pell Grant amount if eligible. Please review the FAFSA result on your Student Aid Report (SAR) with tax documentation and worksheets to determine if the data was provided correctly. If correct, then compare the income, assets, family size, and number in college, marital status, and filing status (dependent or independent) on this year’s SAR to last year’s SAR. This may help you to determine what data has changed.


How do I apply for veteran’s education benefits?
To be eligible for full benefits, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credits in an approved academic program. To apply for veteran’s education benefits or for more information, contact your Local County Veterans Service Office or apply for veteran’s education benefits online at:



Students who apply for veteran’s education benefits will also need to submit the Veteran’s Information Sheet located on CMN’s Veteran Information web page and DD214 to the Financial Aid Office.